Tuesday, January 29, 2013

{Feeling a Little Ehhh...}

So... today was one of those days.
I had a substitute because I had an all day PD for Language Arts.
Cue all the crap that went wrong... My sub seemed very nice and I'm thankful that it was someone who didn't hit me with a list of grievances against my group. They can be difficult at times, mostly because I have some very wild boys in my room. Lots of boys that have some troubles controlling themselves. A lot of what I left for the day didn't get finished.
I am not one to be super critical of substitutes because I was a sub for A FULL SCHOOL YEAR and I hated it! Subbing blows, I don't care what anyone says.

Then, PD... We were going along great, even had time to plan with the third grade LA teacher from our other elementary and then we start going over Aims Web January scores and I wanted to keel over. {Nearly} all of my kids went down on their CBM and Maze.
:(
As a first year teacher, it's immediately "What am I doing wrong??"
But, as someone who knows that Aims Web is only a very small piece of the puzzle, I try not to freak out too much. I guess it's just frustrating to see it on paper.. to see that my lower kids are not showing that they are not more fluent readers 
HALF WAY THROUGH THE SCHOOL YEAR. UGHHHHHHH!

So, I'll figure out where to go from here, but as of tonight and I am just tired.
I'm ready for the weekend and I need a nap.

I'm being observed tomorrow, so I'm happy to get that over with.

And I actually just became a Thirty-One consultant and I am REALLY excited about that.
I got recruited for being a psycho over my wish list for my party {that did REALLY well} a couple of weeks ago. I'm not OCD or anything.. This is one of my favorite things I got!

So, there's all of that. Something fun to look forward to, and something else that really needs some re-evaluation.

Wish me luck & tell me.. how do you all feel about Aims?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! We do aimsweb at our school too and I hate it! Our winter benchmark showed my class average was below 80% for letter naming. It was 78%. Ugh! I know my students know their letters. Sometimes those tests just make me want to pull out my hair! Ha! So don't sweat it girl. Like you said its just one piece of the puzzle.

    I recently realized how much I LOVE thirty-one. My grandma got me a bag and I love it. I use it everyday. I really like the pic of what you got. I think I need to go browse their catalog :)

    Oh and I just had a sub who let my kids take home a bunch of stuff they weren't supposed to so I totally feel your pain. :(

    Mrs. Pauley's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You! It is good to know that other people are having trouble with it too. It makes me feel like maybe it isn't me! I like all of the graphs and that the kids can visually see their progress, but when they get to third there's a test called the Maze. It's supposed to test comprehension and I really don't like it.

    If you want to get something, let me know! Because if you don't have a consultant you can order from me :) Go check out the catalog on my site mythirtyone.com/StaceyRiedmiller Their shipping is super quick, and it doesn't matter if we're in different states!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! :)